Sunday, February 15, 2009

Laissez les bon temps rouler!

Mardi Gras, or Fat Tuesday, is only 8 days and 11 hours away, which means there are only 8 days left of drunken revelry and debaucherous fun before those of Western Christian faith begin a 40-day long season of abstinence and prayer which starts on Ash Wednesday and culminates on Easter Sunday. Many cultures celebrate the days before Ash Wednesday; however, few festivals are as famous as New Orleans' Mardi Gras. The first Mardi Gras celebration, including a parade and ball, was held in New Orleans by the Krewe of Comus on February 24, 1857. The Mardi Gras that everyone is familiar with today - complete with multiple Krewes and their balls, parades of elaborate floats, throws of beads, doubloons, etc - began around 1870. The preponderance of Mardi Gras festivities in cities across the US has been steadily increasing throughout the years, but I think those in the know would agree that there is no celebration that compares to that of New Orleans. I hold a very special place in my heart for Mardi Gras celebrations pre-Katrina, as I spent many Mardi Gras seasons in New Orleans with my family during the 1990s - those memories are some the fondest of my life! I'm sure you know what I'm talking about if you have experienced New Orleans' Mardi Gras pre or post Katrina - it makes no difference, New Orleans will always be a special place with an unconquerable spirit! To honor the City of New Orleans and the Mardi Gras season I have created a teametsyaustin mini of purple, green, and gold (yellow.) These traditional colors of Mardi Gras were chosen and assigned meaning by Rex, the King of Carnival, in 1892: purple is for justice, green for faith, and gold for power. I hope someone out there in Etsy land asks you, in the traditional Mardi Gras parade yell: 'hey, lady, throw me something!' Obviously, of course, for a price!

Best to everyone - please remember me and all of the unique teametsyaustin members in your treasuries and favorites, not just the same handful of usual suspects, as I and they need the help as much as everyone. I try very hard to show equal representation of all teametsyaustin members in my posts, favorites, etc, despite my photographic or personal interests - I may not know you personally yet, but I care about showing all team members some love! We are a TEAM!! Yay team! Take care everyone! Holly @ BowerbirdDesign

Information sources: http://www.mardigrasneworleans.com/ and Wikipedia

2 comments: