Thursday, September 8, 2011

















I recently acquired new craft supplies in the form of yarn and fabric. I found some beautiful fabric, including laminated fabric (similar to oil cloth but thinner), from The Stitch Lab on So. Congress. I made darling daughter a re-usable lunchbag, lined with the laminated fabric and closable with a velcro tab. If you look closely, the fabric got caught in my feed dogs on the lower right. It's a reusable lunchbag, I am not worried enough about it to rip it out and risk tearing this fabric. Apparently there are tricks to sewing with laminated fabric and oil cloth that I am unaware of. There is a book out there that has some reportedly great techniques for sewing with this type of fabric. The author's bio is quite interesting:
Kelly McCants is the go-to girl for working with oilcloth. Known online as both Oilcloth Addict and Modern June, Kelly stays busy running her blogs and operating her online stores where she sells handmade housewares, accessories and oilcloth yardage.

Kelly has been sewing and making patterns since she was a teenager. After a career in costuming for films and theater, Kelly opened up Modern June in 2005. Kelly put her BFA in costuming to work by redesigning her favorite vintage aprons for the modern woman. Kelly quickly discovered oilcloth and created a line of housewares and accessories with the slick stuff. Kelly and her Junies make the handmade housewares for Modern June in Richmond, VA.

Kelly McCants, believes that there is still a bit of a 1950's housewife in all of us, even if we have left the days of June Cleaver behind--we all want a comfy place to call home. After all, our homes are where we make our memories, and it's where life's celebrations begin. Her Modern June goodies, Oilcloth Addict tutorials, and her new book "Sewing with Oilcloth," are all meant to help you create a bright and happy home that's easy to care for. Oilcloth, laminated cotton and chalk cloth items are her specialty, but helping you to make special memories is her goal.

If you have experience with this type of sewing, leave a comment. I would love to hear your experience, good and bad. I hope to conquer this fabric as it is beautiful and so practical.

Now, off to my next adventure! Pictures to follow, in about two weeks;P

Craft On!

2 comments:

  1. This seem to be an amazing piece of work. I donno much about Sewing, but I bet this is really great. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What better way can you share something you care about with either yourself or someone you love. T-SHIRTS FOR YOUR BAND, YOUR GROUP, YOUR FRIENDS HAVE AN INSIDE JOKE FOR AND WANT IT ON A SHIRT, YOUR SPORTS TEAM, YOUR LEAGUE, MAYBE YOU HAVE AN EVENT COMING UP, MAYBE YOUR A BUSINESS OWNER... WHATEVER THE OCCASION I WILL MAKE THAT SHIRT TO FIT YOUR EXACT NEEDS! I also split profit with people who help me out with promotions as well as give you great deals.
    I may be young and pretty... but theres so much more to me that just that... so hit me up if you wanna talk!

    C51Creations Apparel Sells: Customs and Art Causes Classes Crews Discrimination Funny Haters Heartless Exs Inspiration Movies Music Nerdy Our Best Friends Political Radio Stations Religion Sex,Drugs, & Tattoos Social Networking Superheros Vehicles Web Graphix Custom works and Gift Certificates

    Wouldn't you want one of these?
    I DO CUSTOM SHIRTS AND RIGHT NOW THEIR ONLY $30 YOU TELL ME THE IMAGE YOU WANT AND I WILL HAVE IT READY FOR YOU TO ORDER IN 10 MINS!!! http://C51Creations.com/ IF YOU CAN IMAGINE IT, WE CAN CREATE IT!!!
    Everything else in the store is 40% off but if you order today... I'll make it 50% off!


    I also sell Gift credits from $10 - 100 dollars... if you would like to give someone else something but don't know what to get them.
    Custom T-Shirts, Boy Shorts, Boxers, Hats, Beanies, Hooies, g-strings and more.

    ReplyDelete