Sunday, November 30, 2008

We-Are-Fam-i-ly! Interview with Model Citizen**



1. What is your name and what is your Etsy store?




2. Apart from creating things, what do you do?


I live with my boyfriend, Austin (yep that's his name) and Todd the road manager of his band , Lions. It's a really creative place to be! There's music in the air all the time. During the day I work as a booking agent, booking local bands all over the country. By night I devote my time to Model Citizen or I volunteer at The ARCH (Austin Resource Center for the Homeless), which is seriously fulfilling & ultimately satisfying. Other than that I enjoy playing badminton, trying out new recipes, blogging, thrifting, dancing at the Second Sunday Sock Hop & makin' mischief!Some of my favorite things to do in Austin? Swim in the springsPicnic at the Cathedral of JunkDinner @ Polvos on 1stCamp Camp @ Bouldin Creek.


3. What first made you want to become an artist?


I'm not sure how to answer this question. The world is cram packed with inspiration. It started with my Mom though. Growing up she was very creative. She made clothes, jewelry, belts, you name it. I get my creative streak from her, every little girl wants to be like her Mom. She has always encouraged me to indulge my creative side. Which was a good idea because I wasn't so hot at math or science, history was a bust too... I just couldn't memorize those dates! I often ditched other classes to hang out and create in the art room during high school. I think that's where I seriously became addicted. These days if Im not getting a lot of drawing or crafting done I am pretty cranky. Do what you love right?


4. Please describe your creative process how, when, materials, etc.

Well, after work I sit down and I draw. Maybe I draw 50 things and I end up feeling like 49 of them are no good. But then there is one that shows promise so I decide on a color combo & shirt design or dress option, make an order from american apparel. After printing I have to transform myself into some kind of a photographer & model at the same time. Which is fun and frustrating. I generally model everything on that is on the site because it's hard to schedule other people in the middle of the night when I do most of that stuff.


5. What handmade possession do you most cherish?


In my kitchen I have a handmade porcelain scissor holder that belonged to my great grandmother. It is light green and lavendar with little pansy's and scissors hand painted on it and covered with a light iridescent glaze. I'm guessing it was made in the 20's or 30's. Did my great grandmother make it? I'm not sure. I wish I knew. I think of her every time I go grab my crafting scissors.


6. What advice would you give to artists who are new to Etsy?


Don't give up! Relist often so you show up in local listings :D Give your items interesting titles.Use ALL of your tags!Add a new item at least once a week. At the very least.Visit the forums & Storque - it'll answer all of your burning questions & give you a little inspiration too.And I wish it didn't have to be said, but...Don't rip other people off!


7. What are your favorite features on Etsy? What new features would you like to see?


Well, I LOVE the Shop Local feature & the Time Machines!Those are my favorites. And who can say anything bad about all the awesome articles in the Storque?!Occasionally I cruise the Treasury, but I find it to be overwhelming and the titles are often misleading :(As for features I'd like to see: Stats! There are few things I wouldn't do to be able to use google analytics on my Etsy page. Thanks!

You can also catch Bonnie Rue on her blog at http://www.goodgirlsandgeeks.blogspot.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment